July 31, 2007

Illegal?

Did you know that it's illegal to say...



It was perhaps a tad ironic that a friend sent this link over to me when he did because I was rediscovering Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 411 just a few days prior.

Aside from this skit being ridiculously funny (and getting turned on to an awesome new comedy troupe), it's compelling evidence that Bradbury's prediction of bleak future where all aspects of education and the mass media are forcibly controlled by the government, is still a ways off.

I'm inclined to be more optimistic, and as a great man once said, "You can lock up a man, but you can't lock up an idea". And yes, I'm a Tommy Douglas groupie, check out the famous Mouseland speech this quote came from. He was a damn cool guy.

This skit is proof that civil society is still alive and well in a post 9/11 North America since Trevor Moore, thankfully, hasn't been shipped off to Guantanamo Bay or a country that has absolutely no regard for human rights.

As much as I despise George W. Bush and the policies of his administration, the last thing I'd want would be to see him assassinated. This would make Bush a martyr for his insanely wrong cause and the last thing I'd want to see is him becoming immortalized as a hero. Besides, wishing for someone's death isn't very cool at all. At the same time, I always love outlandish statements such as these, because they generate controversy, which in turn will hopefully generate a well informed debate from both sides.

So sic semper tyrannis! See you there Trevor!

No comments: